The territory of Arua Diocese was originally part of Gulu Diocese. Erected as a Diocese on June 23, 1958, its Patrons are the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Our Lady, Mediatrix of all Graces. The original territory included what is now Nebbi Diocese; the Catholic Diocese of Nebbi was erected on March 15, 1996.
The first Bishop of Arua Diocese was Rt. Rev. Angelo Tarantino of the Comboni Missionaries. He served from 1958 to 1984. The second Bishop of Arua Diocese, Rt. Rev. Frederick Drandua, first served as Apostolic Administrator and then was consecrated Bishop of Arua on August 15, 1986. He served until his retirement on August 19, 2009.
The third and current Bishop of Arua Diocese, Rt. Rev. Sabino Ocan Odoki, was consecrated a Bishop October 21, 2006 when he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Gulu Archdiocese. On August 19, 2009, he was appointed Apostolic Administrator of Arua Diocese. He was then appointed Bishop of Arua Diocese October 20, 2010.
The area of Arua Diocese is 4,046 square miles or 10,561 square kilometers with an approximate population of 2,100,000 people. Approximately 1,200,000 Catholics reside in the Diocese. The Diocese has 41 parishes organized into 8 deaneries and 3 Vicariates.